Welcome to week 1 in our 4 week Advent study: Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus!
We are so glad you are joining us!
For millions of people around the world, this is a VERY busy time of the year. We have Christmas parties to plan, presents to purchase, cookies to make and friends and family to visit.
But for Christians, this time of year is much more than just parties, presents and people…..it’s about celebrating the birth of our Savior….our one and only hope in this world.
As Christians we are a people of hope. That doesn’t mean we have perfect lives, quite the contrary, Jesus tells us in John 16:33 that we will have tribulation in this life, but what it does mean is that we are not alone in our struggles. We are not alone in life’s disappointments. We are not alone in our brokenness. We are not alone because Christ, our Emmanuel, is with us!
This week as we begin celebrating Advent, let’s concentrate on the hope Jesus brought to us through His birth, that special Christmas night so many years ago.
God gave us the greatest gift ever….He gave Himself….He gave us HOPE!
But how do we put our hope in Jesus when life and our circumstances seem so hopeless?
1. Pray- Be honest with God and ask Him for help!
2. Read scripture- Don’t know where to start? Turn to the back of your Bible, look up the word: Hope and read the verses that are listed.
3. Trust Him for help- So many times when we have problems in life, we turn to “professionals”, to self-help books and to others. While God can and does work through people to help us, we first need to seek God’s help before we seek help from others.
“I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
4. Change your focus- Look up! Think eternal! Realize that the best is YET TO COME!!!
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,” 1 Peter 1:3-4
This week as we light our first of 4 candles, remember that Jesus is the light of the world!
The light by which we see everything….our lives…our world!
As Christians we always have hope not because of anything we can do or not do, but because of the gift of Jesus and His ultimate sacrifice so many years ago!
Week 1 Reading Plan:
Week 1 in our Advent eBook:
- Hope Devotional page 6
- Family Activities page 8
- Peppermint Bark Recipe page 9
- Daily S.O.A.P. Journal pages 10-14 (Don’t know how to S.O.A.P? Click here)
Want to help us make a difference in this world? TOGETHER WE CAN!
Join us this Christmas and give the gift of water! So far we have already raised $4,300!!!
THANK YOU to EVERYONE who has already donated!!!
We have 30 days left…..let’s see how God can change a NATION through our ministry!
How are you focusing on the hope of Jesus this week?
Until next time…
Love God Greatly!