Each day we have an amazing opportunity…..
Morning after morning, God gives us the opportunity to be women who speak words of life into our family and friends.
Each day we have the opportunity to speak words that:
- Give hope
Each day we have the opportunity to water the souls of those around us.
Each day we have a choice.
- Will I build my home today or tear it down? (Proverbs 14:1) (paraphrased)
One of the ways we build our homes is by the words we use.
In Luke 6:45 we are told, “For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.”
My question today is, “What’s filling your heart?”
Based on the words coming out of your mouth, how’s your heart?
Are you paying attention to what you are allowing into your heart?
The movies, books, blogs, TV shows…. even your thoughts?
We are called to be in the world but not of the world. Because of who we are, we should not talk like the world talks.
We are called to be different.
One way to be different is in our speech.
How we speak to our husbands, our children, our friends and even the grouchy, critical lady at the grocery store says a lot about what’s going on inside our hearts.
I want to challenge us today to be more than just women who read the bible, I want us to be doers…….doers of God’s Word!
Women who put our faith into action!
One of the ways to do this is by controlling our tongues and watching what is filling our hearts.
James 1:26 says, “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, deceives himself and his religion is worthless.”
As Christian women, we must exercise control over our tongues…..using our mouths to build others up instead of tear them down. (Eph 4:29)
How can we do this?
1. Pray: Ask God for His help.
2. Retrain your mind: Pay attention to your thoughts…..if you are having critical thoughts of someone pray and thank God for him/her instead.
3. Watch what you feed your heart: Are the books, movies, TV shows, blogs helping me to fill my mind and heart with wisdom, goodness and love?
4. Put your faith into action: Be intentional with your words and focus on speaking words that build others up, words that are loving, kind and compassionate.
Putting your faith into action, how are you going to be intentional with your words today…..choosing to build rather than tear down?
Here are a few ideas:
1. Challenge yourself not to say one negative remark to your husband or kids today. Go as far as to focus on your thoughts and pray each time you want to say something negative instead of speaking it.
2. Send an encouraging email or text message to your husband today, speaking words of life…….telling him how thankful you are for him, how proud you are of him..etc.
3. When you think of a compliment……say it….don’t just keep it to yourself!
4. Make a point and build someone up today…..it could be the lady at the register, the young mom, your neighbor or someone within your home.
Water someone’s soul today…..you’ll be glad you did!
Love God Greatly!
Every Wednesday we will have a link-up. If you are a blogger we invite you to link-up any blog posts that you have written about your quiet time that week. We ask that you put our button in the post or on your sidebar so we can find each other. We do not have code for this link up button. Just right click and save as. Then link it to http://www.goodmorninggirls.org