The good about not having it all together…

jack

I sat quietly in the waiting room with tears streaming down my face. My unstable emotions were even catching me off guard.

After all, I’m the one who’s always supposed to have it all together.

And oh, how I long to be that person. The low-maintenance one who always encourages. Who always has a smile on my face, is generous with my time, and helps ease the burdens of others. I despise neediness in myself. Call it mercy, call it middle-child-syndrome, or call it a bad case of wanting to be in control. Whatever it is, it just plain stinks when you’re not.

The week before, our like family small group had overwhelmed us with love and practical care. My husband and I sat on our living room floor and wept as our friends surrounded us and lifted our sick little boy up to our capable Father. He alone could make him well in a moment, but for His glory and our good, He had taken us on an unknown journey that had lasted years.

A crazy hereditary condition had landed us in children’s hospital waiting rooms far more often than we would have liked. As far as conditions go, we always knew that it was “fixable,” but the road would be uncomfortable. Our kids would endure test after test and difficult hospitalizations, and I’d cry hard tears with each visit as I listened to my sweet toddlers cry out, “Aaalllll done, Mama. Aaalllll done.”  It sometimes seemed unfair that so many other couples had such healthy kids, but on my unselfish days, it especially seemed unfair that our kids would get through this, while other children with more severe health issues weren’t looking at outcomes as optimistic as ours. The waves of emotions alone were honestly more than this seemingly all-together girl had signed up for.

The waiting room chairs were hard and uncomfortable, a perfect match to the state of my heart. Some stranger had wheeled my boy through those doors without me hours before, and now surgery was taking much longer than expected. For Your glory and my good, God? No, thank you. My Bible was open to the Psalms, the pages now wet; first with fear, and then with tears begging for forgiveness for my doubt in the One who holds all things together.

I was so tired of not having it all together. And now I wanted to cry out, “All done, Father. I don’t want to carry this anymore.”

But God meant it for good.

Those familiar words from Genesis kept pressing in on the walls of my hard heart with each waiting room visit through the years, reminding me that in each victory and each set-back in life, God has a greater goal than my comfort in mind. It’s actually through those vulnerable times when I don’t have it all together {which, let’s face it, is all the time} that I’ve come to understand more of who He is.

The God who forms in the womb, who sees my every thought and need, who loves me in spite of myself – He understands and has compassion for me in my weakness. He willingly walked a road that no perfect man deserved and sympathizes with my suffering – no matter how big, or how seemingly insignificant. And praise God that He loves me too much to leave me immature and lacking.

God, the Master Weaver. He stretches the yarn and intertwines the colors, the ragged twine with the velvet strings, the pains with the pleasures. Nothing escapes his reach. Every king, despot, weather pattern, and molecule are at his command. He passes the shuttle back and forth across the generations, and as he does, a design emerges. Satan weaves; God reweaves. ~ Max Lucado

The good about not having it all together?

My dependence is greater.

My priorities are refigured.

My will is broken.

My heart is made tender.

My compassion grows stronger.

My ministry becomes more effective.

God shines brighter… for my good, and His glory.

I’ve learned over the years that all-together people don’t exist. And I’ve also learned that even if they did, I don’t want to be one of them. In my weakness, I’ve seen more of Christ, and He is more beautiful than before. I’ve watched Him weave this grace-laced story – messy and twisted underneath - into a magnificent, intentional and clearer presentation for the world to see more of Jesus in me. I’ve learned that the world doesn’t need one more fake all-together Jesus-follower. The world just needs Jesus.

So mold me to be more like you, Father. Whatever it takes. Because nothing escapes your reach, my confidence is in You. Shine brighter, for my good, and Your glory.

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses,

but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence,

so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

~ Hebrews 4:15-16

At His feet,

*Let’s talk: What struggle has God used in YOUR life to make Himself shine brighter? We adore hearing your hearts…

Comments

1. Angella lewis says:

Right now God is working, there’s a perfect plan that I don’t see but I believe it is there. My 16 yr old son leaves this evening to officially move in with his dad (we have been divorced since 2004). My heart breaks but I choose to believe in Gods perfect and good plan for all of our lives. He will be glorified in this.. There’s a letting go that has to happen on my part and as I let go I’m trusting in a God that never does let go!

• Praying for your Angella as you transition into the the season of life God has for you and your family. I know this must be so hard. I love your encouraging words ” but I choose to believe in Gods perfect and good plans for all of our lives. He will be glorified in this.” Amen to that!
      Marlene
      Good Morning Girls Leader Encouarager

2. sheila payne says:

My son is a type 1 diabetic for 13 years and 8 months now. They told us it is manageable. Diabetes calls all the shots. It manages you not the other way around. It never gets easier. The variables that make it all messed up are endless–stress, a cold, sunburn, poison oak, too much exercise, not enough exercise, etc. You need to know the order your day will fall ahead of time so you can adjust for it. Now how unrealistic is that? I have begged God to heal Andrew this side of heaven. So far the answer is no. I still cry all these years later.

• My baby girl was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at 18 months old. We are only 3 months into our journey. Overwhelming is an understatement!!! I can’t convince a toddler that I already gave her insulin and that throwing her food on the floor isn’t going to work. I hate that she has to endure 10 pokes a day to check her blood sugar and 4 shots of insulin. And I can’t even explain it all to her. Though I do try. And I pray over her constantly. And god has carried us through this so far. I have seen His hands at work providing comfort and support to us. Someone told me that God wouldn’t give me more than I can handle, and even though I kindly smiled and said thank you, I was disagreeing with them in my mind. This is definitely more than I can handle!!! But it’s not more than God can handle! And I do believe He gives us more than we can handle so that we will lean on Him. God has got this. He’s got a plan in this. And as difficult as this is to manage, even as things fluctuate in mere moments, I am learning to trust Him more.

• Viki adams says:

I can relate to this post because I have a son born with a horrible birth defect. Yes, he is supposed to grow out of all his complications and is considered to be “one of the lucky ones” by the medical community. I know, in my mind, that God is molding and shaping our entire family and using this situation for His glory. Yet, I have a human heart that breaks as I take my son for appointments, tests, procedures, and especially surgeries. It is not always for my situation, but for those around me who have children with far worse. I recently came upon the bible story about Jesus healing the blind man – I cling to this now! It is a great reminder of how God uses physical limitations for His glory!

• Sheila – Andrea and Viki – Lifting you and your children up in prayer. I truly believe that God uses physical limitations for His glory. I have watched as my own son suffered as a child. It’s not easy at all, our hearts break for our children. I believe God does provide a way for us to endure the hardships. He is with you, he knows the pain of watching His child suffer.
      God bless each one of you for sharing !

In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

• Thank you, Martha, for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

• Andrea –
          Humbly helping the only way I can, through prayer.
          Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

3. Sarah b. says:

God walked with me through post partum depression with my second child. Right now He is walking with me through post partum depression with my third. I needed this reminder today that He loves me and understands and longs for me to invite Him into the middle of my mess. Thank you. GOD BLESS!

• Praying for you blessed one. I know how difficult that can be but don’t forget that Jesus loves you and He is not disappointed in you at all. Glad to hear you say that He is walking with you through it because that is what He does even when it doesn’t feel like He is there. Praying for joy to break through!

• Becky m says:

Sarah, said a prayer for you. Our oldest daughter is going through this–expecting her third child. Prayers for her will keep you in my mind and I will pray for you.

• Becky,
        Lifting your oldest daughter up in prayer as she walks though this difficult time as well.

In Him,
        Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

• Sarah,
      Thank you for sharing with us. I’m so glad you feel Him walking you through this difficult time. Lifting you up in prayer!
      In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

4. My son (who is 28 years old today!) has autism. We had many tough years dealing with this and had no idea how he would turn out. They just can’t predict that kind of thing. But he works, he drives and he is a wonderful person who blesses people with his musical/singing talents. Most of all, he is serving the Lord. And we were just along for the ride.

• Dede,
      Thank you so very much for blessing us today with your son’s story. Beautiful!

In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

5. Melissa says:

When I am weak, He is strong……… yes, Jesus loves me……..
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts today. God Bless you and your whole family. :-)

6. I am facing a financial war. We are facing foreclosure for the 3rd time in a year. Bills are mounting and all we can do is trust God, pay the necessities, be obedient, and pray. I know He has bigger plans for me than I can imagine and I will be patient and receive His blessings.

• Dee, while we haven’t face foreclosure (we’ve never owned a home – we rent), we have been through deep financial struggles. Stay in the Word as you are, pray fervently, turn it all over to Him. All for His glory and purpose. In good times, and in trials – He uses each moment to draw us closer to Him. Cling to His word. Praying for you!
      Marlene
      Good Morning Girls Leader Encouarager

7. Becca Dowling says:

Powerful words, beautiful testimony. Thank you, Whitney, for your transparency and honesty. For the Truth.

• Becca,
      Thank you for stopping by and joining us. I’m with you, Whitney’s words are so beautiful, powerful!
      In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

8. My 21 year old son was recently sentenced to ten years in prison for murder. He had been in county jail four years before his sentencing. The worst part, is he did not kill anyone. Everyone who knows the details of this case are shocked. The DA, the judge, his attorney, all have told him he needs to share his story so other teenagers can learn from his case. So someone else may be spared this fate. I have been asked more times than I can count, how I hold myself together. How I accept this with grace. How my son stays so positive. There is only one answer… God. I get my strength from him daily. I do not know why my son has to endure this sentence. My tender hearted, loving, young man locked away in maximum security, with real murderers, rapists, child molesters… The crimes they have committed are so horrific I can not even listen when my son tells me their stories. But I know deep in my heart, God has placed him there for a reason. Oh believe me, there have been days, when I lost focus of that truth. (and there will be many more to come.) But I do not allow myself to stay there. I call on Jesus to pull me up. My son told me shortly after he was arrested in 2010, (he was 17 yrs old), “Mom, I’m tough. I can handle this. Most kids can’t. If just one person hears my story and is saved because they stop and think, what I am going through will be worth it.” WOW, the wisdom and courage. He has God written all over him!

• Tonya,
      Wow – Your story made me cry. I’m heartbroken for you and your son but yet I’m overjoyed at the strength and the FAITH you both have. Bless you for sharing. Praying for your son and you!

In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

9. This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your story! This is something I struggle with too – I want to have it all together, the perfect house, husband, kid, etc., but God uses our struggles and weakness to bring us to a place where He can work with our hearts and bring us closer to Him. He is using this difficult season of my life to bring me closer to Him in a big way! This group & study is helping too, I feel so blessed to be a part of this study! This You Are Loved book is blessing me and helping me with my walk with God!! Thank you GMG!!! :-)

• Lauren, I’m so happy to hear the study is helping you work through some things. So happy to have you joining with us!
      Marlene
      Good Morning Girls Leader Encouarager

10. Jaime McLeod says:

The biggest struggle I have had recently was being homeless. Our rent had gone up so high that we couldn’t afford to live in our duplex anymore and had to move out. The problem was, there was no place in our area at all where the rent was affordable and we couldn’t get the bank to give us a loan to buy a home. I was struggling with trusting God because I couldn’t figure out what to do. But that was not trusting God because I don’t need to know what He is going to do to trust Him. I needed to trust Him even though I couldn’t see the next step in front of me. So that’s what I did. My family and I packed up all our stuff and put what we could in a storage unit and had to toss what we couldn’t fit out. We then moved into a Hotel on our credit card and I finally gave up the fight. That’s when God started opening doors for us that we closed and locked. He softened hearts and moved mountains for us, so to speak. We were able to buy a home of our own after almost a month of living in a Hotel. A home that was affordable, in our area and that came on the market just when we needed it. Praise God! This struggle of not having a home has made me trust in God so much more than I did before. I now know that I don’t have to figure everything out on my own because God can and will do it for us, we just have to trust Him, blindfolded and all. Thanks for this post Whitney! God bless you and your family!

• Jaime!
      Thank you so very much for sharing your heart and story with us today. I’ve been homeless, lived in a shelter and I know it’s not easy. Bless you for digging in deep and placing your trust in God.

In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

11. Becky m says:

Thank you and God for this post today of all days. Its just one of those days when the ramifications of breast cancer have taken over my day. And here you are with a message to my heart.

• Becky,
      Ooh thank you for sharing! I love how God speaks to us. Lifting you up in prayer.
      In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

12. Sarah, I am praying for you- and “sister to sister” I know it feels like a never-ending tunnel. But you will come out of it, and I am praying that as you walk “through” this season of postpartum depression that you will be encouraged and uplifted- knowing that you’re going through it but you’re not there to stay. Things will get better. Also, I pray that your heart will be encouraged each day as you walk through life and parent your children- that the Lord will strengthen you in ways beyond your understanding. I’m praying for you.

• Demetria,
      Beautiful encouragement sister to sister! I loved reading your heartfelt comment. Bless you!
      In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

13. Andrea M. says:

Wow! What a beautiful testimony! Thank you so much for sharing. A little more than 10 years ago, I made the disastrous decision to rush into a second marriage after my first husband left me alone with two small children and no means of income. One day into the honeymoon, I realized I had made a horrible mistake when I found myself married to an abusive sociopath. It took me a year and a half to get up the courage to leave, at which point I was emotionally and financially ruined. BUT GOD (two of my favorite words in all of Scripture!) redeemed the years that the locusts had eaten and graciously restored me to a better and stronger place than I was before. Praise God, my children were kept safe through it all, and I ended up choosing to home school them (which I probably would never have thought I could do were it not for acquaintances I made during that second marriage). Today I can say I am thankful for the painful experiences I endured because they have deepened my faith in my precious Savior and given me a compassionate ministry for hurting, searching women. ALL glory to Him alone!!

• Andrea,
      Thank you for sharing your painful situation with us. Praise, your children were kept safe through it all and you were restored better and stronger!
      Like you, my faith deepened through my painful experiences that I endured! Praise the Lord you are here to help encourage others!
      In Him,
      Martha ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

14. thank you Whitney for sharing this amazing truth. I have two children with life-threatening food allergies one being to milk , eggs and nuts and along with asthma sometimes it’s just all so overwhelming. I have felt the same pull between life is not fair why can’t they just be like the “normal” kids yet I’m so thankful that it’s not something like cancer or disability were they wouldn’t be able to walk. I know that things could be so much worse yet things are so hard. I often think why God allowed this and come up to the same conclusion that it’s for His glory and for whatever reason that I have to trust that he has something good that will come from all of this. I do believe that it puts me in a place where I need Him more which I’m thankful for.

• Jenny,
      Thank you for being here today and sharing. I feel the same way – we don’t understand God’s ways but whatever we are going through it for His glory and something good will come of it. Praying for your children and you.
      In Him,
      Martha, ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

15. Stephanie says:

I am currently struggling with health issues that have created a big struggle with anxiety and depression. I am really working to lean in on Jesus. This was so needed today because I definitely don’t have it all together.

• Stephanie,
      Lifting you up in prayer today. You are not alone, He is with you! I live in chronic pain and have multiple diseases that make life difficult and I have battled anxiety and depression. I truly believe that God allows us to go through hard times because it’s in those times when we can actually draw closer to Him than if our lives were perfect and we had no need to hunger for His presence.
      In Him,
      Martha, ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

16. KellyK(@RNCCRN9706) says:

Well, I’d have to say finding out my husband had cheated on me and then FOUR MONTHS LATER being diagnosed with cancer! If THAT is not a struggle that God used to make Him shine brighter, I don’t know WHAT is. It’s only through my faith in HIM that I got through that struggle at ALL. Lesser people would’ve ended up in the psychiatric ward.

• Kelly,
      Praise the Lord for the strength He gave you to get through your struggles. Sometimes we forget how mighty God is until we are on the other side looking back and seeing how He carried us through. To God be the Glory!
      In Him,
      Martha, ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

17. I am so thankful to be doing this study and that you lovely ladies chose to listen to God’s heart about doing this study. About three years ago I got sick and I still am sick but I’m not as sick as I was three years ago. It has been the most challenging thing for me. And although I would wish The Lord would already heal my body so that I could get on with my life. I have gotten to know more of who He is and how much he really cares about what I care about. There have been many times when I haven’t felt well and I pray for relief and He does. He is truly amazing.

• Raquel,
      Thank you for participating in the study with us and for sharing your story!
      I humbly thank God for the thorns in my life. Without them I would not be in a deeply rooted relationship with Him. I’ve battled for 15 years chronic pain and disease but without Him I would not be here. Like you – I pray for relief and He is always there. He is truly amazing, I agree! Praying for you and your health today!
      In Him,
      Martha, ‘GMG Leadership Encourager’

18. tiffany says:

I have been struggling with anxiety off and on for three years! These past few weeks it has been off the charts as we are moving our family to a new area. The move is not the cause of anxiety though. It is the fact our current home has not sold and we will be carrying two mortgages until it does. I know God will provide and things could be a lot worse. I am just struggling to get my mind to stop anxiously obsessing over the unknowns.

• Tiffany,
      I’m so very sorry for your anxiety with carrying two mortgages. I pray for God to calm your fears and that in His perfect timing your older home will sale and you enjoy your new home more. He is in control.
      Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

19. This was so important for me to read because I’ve been struggling a lot with the idea of the “perfect” Christian woman and what I should look like. I cannot be anything other than myself, the idea of being fake has always repulsed me. Any fake emotions or smiles I simply can’t do. This showed me that God uses us in the state we’re in and if were open to Him and letting Him work in us then He will shine through and you don’t have to focus on projecting a fake smile. I’m a single mom in school full time and working so I always feel like I have to hold it together or everything will fall apart. I needed to be reminded that He is the one in control and I need only submit to His will. Im so glad I read this…so helpful<3

• Amanda,
      Beautifully said! You are right, you can’t be anything other than yourself and we are NOT perfect, but He loves us deeply! I’ve been the mom, single in school and working – thinking I needed to hold it all together, but once I let that go and let God – my life changed. My son needed to see me trusting God as well. I so appreciate you sharing your story with us!
      Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

20. What a beautiful picture you displayed as you spoke of the hardness of your heart like that of the waiting room chairs! I could definitely relate to you as God turns my false sense of control into a merciful plea -of worship to Him to reveal His goodness and His greatness. Walking through a miscarriage right now, and I KNOW I’ve got a great high priest who can empathisize in my weakness, be my refuge, and can “come CONFIDENTLY to receive mercy and grace in the time of need.”
    Thank you Whitney for speaking so bravely to that idol of control that, I believe, many of women continually have to challenge and throw at the throne of grace. May Gods goodness continue to tangibly be evident to you as you continue to care for your son through the throngs of chronic illness.

• Keva,
      You made me cry with your comment – thank you so much for blessing us today. Praying for you as you walk through your miscarriage. God bless you!
      Martha

21. What a beautiful picture you displayed as you spoke of the hardness of your heart like that of the waiting room chairs! I could definitely relate to you as God turns my false sense of control into a merciful plea -of worship to Him to reveal His goodness and His greatness. Walking through a miscarriage right now, and I KNOW I’ve got a great high priest who can empathisize in my weakness, be my refuge, and can “come CONFIDENTLY to receive mercy and grace in the time of need.”
    Thank you for speaking so bravely to that idol of control that, I believe, many of women continually have to challenge and throw at the throne of grace.

22. Heather darBy says:

My 10 year old son was born with a heart defect and he does well bit there are sports he is limited to. It breaks my heart seeing him want to play football and all his friends getting to and he cannot – so fall/football season seems like it lasts a lifetime. He is a blessing though, and I am so thankful to God everyday for him surviving this at birth. He has had two procedures and will likely have his aortic valve replaced in the future (hopefully a long time from now). I agree, it’s hard to keeping it together.

• Heather,
      Praying for your son and for you! I pray that he can find something else that he can participate in with great passion.
      Martha

23. Healing says:

Thank you for beautiful, authentic writing and heart, anchored in God’s word.
    We have several adopted children from hard places, and one is going through mental health crisis as a young adult. I wrote down the fruits of our weaknesses, as you share, as well other Hebrewes 4:15-16. These help keep my focus off of ” I didn’t sign up ” for this, type of thinking. We face unknowns, but crying out to The Lord, He continues to light our path, keeping us moving forward. Today, He used your writings, to help me stay anchored in His word and love. Praying for a break through for our young adult, safety and protection, as we seek to stabilize his mental health. Asking God to restore what the locus have stolen, bring back our sweet child.
    Blessings

• Healing…
      Thank you for sharing your story with us! It’s so hard when we see our children going through a crisis. I love how you found a way to keep the focus off ‘I didn’t sign up’ for this type of of thinking! Lifting you and your young adult up in prayer for protection and restoration.
      Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

24. Lauren rees says:

Thank you so much Whitney for your bold honesty and willingness to speak the truth in love. I am a perfectionistic people pleaser with the middle child syndrome so I completely relate to the trying to hold it all together and be in control and make everyone happy. This week has been a week to break me. Nothing major happened just the day to day struggles became overwhelming as I try to balance life as a working wife and mama. We all speak the quality time love language in my house which makes getting things done around the house a huge challenge! So as I looked around the chaotic house in desperate need of cleaning and the piles of laundry to be put away and on and on I felt like such a failure. And as I would turn to chocolate over Jesus or lose patience with my children, I would hear the voices screaming in my head,” failure, failure!” And I broke as I realized I just can’t do it all. I can’t do it on my strength and I can’t live up to others expectations and I can only be who God made me to be. And that is a person with a heart to serve and love and spend time with others NOT a person who will have the ‘showroom’ clean house with the kids on a perfect schedule. And that’s ok! That doesn’t make me less of a woman or wife or mom. I must embrace who God made me to be rather than fight and struggle to be someone I am not. This is so hard for someone who wants everyone to like me and see me as superwoman! But I am learning that to not accept me for who I am is a slap in the face to Jesus because He made me who i am, flaws and all, for a purpose that only I can fulfill. So I have to choose daily to live for Him not others, to be ME not who the world says I should be, and to lean on Him not my strength or chocolate!

• Lauren,
      Ooh I so loved reading your story. Yes being superwoman is not all it’s cracked up to being, ‘no such thing’. Beautiful joy when you realize you can only be how God made you, there is great freedom in that! Ooh people will love your heart for serving the Lord and others – not your ‘showroom’ home. Thank you so much for sharing and I’m cheering you on as you choose daily to live for Him not others! Ooh and I hear ya about chocolate. Ha
      Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

25. Thank you all for sharing your hearts. Sometimes I just get stuck in a rut. Like I’m the only one experiencing hardships. I love The Lord and don’t usually understand His plans, but it has been so encouraging to hear all of you remind me of Gods love,& maybe right now is the time just to grow closer to Him. Needing nothing more. My struggle is not being able to have a child. I pray that it will happen, But God my be telling me it’s not right for me. Struggling with the thought of not being able to be a Mom. Thank you GMG!!!

• Lisa,
      Thank you for sharing your struggle with us. Praying for you to lean on Him for your strength during this time of struggle. It’s not easy! Praying for peace for you as you follow God’s lead in your life.

Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

26. Whitney’s article sounds exactly like what we’ve been going through with our son- he’s now 21 and his optic nerve quit functioning almost 6 years ago now – we’ve been praying during these years for God to touch our son’s eyes so he can again read – see everything again!
    It’s been an unbelievable journey of heartbreak – emotional chaos that with only God’s help was I able to get this far – always having to remind myself look up-
    It’s so true going through this journey makes you more tender – compssionate
    Blessings to Whitney for opening her heart and telling her story ❤️
    I will never give up on praying – waiting for our son’s healing touch from our LORD- NEVER
    I know and believe that His plans are better than we could ever think or imagine- that keeps me going- His promises to me!
    He is faithful and promises to make good come out of the bad

• Dora,
      Thank you for sharing your story about your son with us. Oh I’m so sorry for the emotional chaos but so happy to hear of your diligence in prayer and leaning on the Lord. You are right, His plans are better than we could ever think or imagine. Prayers for you and your son!
      Martha, ‘GMG Encourager’

27. Whitney, thank you so much for your wonderful message about “not having it all together.” I’m running behind in the “You are Loved” study because I’m looking for a new home for my father. Because of dementia, he can no longer live alone. I feel guilty, inadequate, and so hurt through this whole process. But through all of this, God has even used my inconsistent Bible time for my own good. Because I’m behind on the plan, I read your post today, when I needed it most rather than a week ago. I know that God really is with me in all of this overwhelming situation and His love is faithful and always present, not just for me, but for Dad, too. Thank you.

28. In March of this year, i sort of came undone. With no major stress beyond that of trying (probably too hard and in my strength) to be a helper suitable to my husband, preparing for next year’s homeschool year, being a mom, and homemaker, i began showing physical signs of not being able to handle minor stressors. i was becoming physically and emotionally overwhelmed by the smallest of things and couldn’t shake them. i had written, virtually verbatim, Whitney’s 2nd paragraph above about being the low-maintenance girl. An honest confession is that i really *prided* myself on how laid-back and low-maintenance i’ve been these 34 years of life. That all came crashing down when i couldn’t get my act together enough to even get dinner on the table. It is taking months, but through (sigh) *asking for help* and confessing my weaknesses to God, my husband, my kids, my parents, siblings, and Christian friends, etc i have gotten a glimpse of how He uses His body to care for us. i am (largely through this study) seeing that His love for me really isn’t based on my productivity levels or big-girl self-sufficiency. I am trying to make better choices to take care of myself and fighting the guilt over what feels like selfish indulgence, all the while hearing these whispers of ‘no condemnation’…

1. […] Week 4- God Loves You Monday- Chapter 4: God Loves You Wednesday- Modeling God’s Love for Ourselves Changes Lives… Friday- The Good About Not Having It All Together… […]

2. […] Week 4- God Loves You Monday- Chapter 4: God Loves You Wednesday- Modeling God’s Love for Ourselves Changes Lives… Friday- The Good About Not Having It All Together… […]

3. […] Week 4- God Loves You Monday- Chapter 4: God Loves You Wednesday- Modeling God’s Love for Ourselves Changes Lives… Friday- The Good About Not Having It All Together… […]