Luke {Week 1} ~ God’s plan… our response.

Good Morning Girls!!!

Aahhhh… the waiting is finally over (Seriously, am I the only impatient girl here during the enrollment periods?!  Ok, I didn’t think so. :)), and we are more than thrilled to have you along for this new adventure as we kick-off our Winter Study ~ LIVING LIKE JESUS {Luke 1-8}!!!

Alright… truth.  Does that title intimidate you at all?  If I’m honest, it does me a little.

You see, I know myself.  I know how I might be able to pull off a pretty convincing exterior sometimes (or not), but how deep down my heart is as deceitful and sinful as it gets (Jer. 17:9).  Living Like Jesus... how in the world am I ever going to pull that off??  But then I remember…

God had a plan.

Long before you or me or this world ever began.

His plan was to rescue us.

From ourselves, from our sin, from this fallen world that provides nothing but empty promises.

Jesus came… so that we might have life!

Doesn’t that thought just blow you away?!  Apart from Christ, we can do nothing (John 15:5). But with Christ living in us, all by His grace, it is possible to look more and more like Him (2 Cor. 5:17).

This week.  No, today How will you respond to the news that Christ has come?

Will you live more and more like Jesus?

That, my friend, is what the book of Luke is all about.

{If you are unable to see this video, you can view it here.}

I love how Sally Lloyd-Jones, author of The Jesus Storybook Bible, so simply, yet so eloquently speaks to the hearts of my children (and brings out all sorts of emotions in mine!!) on the purpose behind God’s love letter to them:

“No, the Bible isn’t {just} a book of rules, or a book of heroes.  The Bible is most of all a Story.  It’s an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure.

It’s a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne ~ everything ~ to rescue the one he loves.  It’s like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!

You see, the best thing about this Story is ~ it’s true.  There are lots of stories in the Bible, but all the stories are telling one Big Story.

The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them.

It takes the whole Bible to tell this Story.  And at the center of the Story, there is a baby.  Every Story in the Bible whispers his name.

He is like the missing piece in a puzzle ~ the piece that makes all other pieces fit together, and suddenly you can see a beautiful picture.”

Thank you so much for joining us on this beautiful journey.  As we pursue Jesus, may we live more and more like Him.

At His feet,

Weekly Memory Verse

This session we have added memory verses to the line-up of resources we provide for you!

(Thanks to Amanda B. for creating these!!)

Each week we will provide the memory verse in a higher resolution for you to download and print if you’d like to display it in your homes to help you see and memorize the verse throughout the week.

Higher resolution download links:

KJV – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/KJV%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

KJV B&W – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/KJV%20B%26W%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NIV – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NIV%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NIV B&W – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NIV%20B%26W%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NKJV – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NKJV%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NKJV B&W – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NKJV%20B%26W%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NLT – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NLT%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

NLT B&W – Luke 1 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97605723/NLT%20B%26W%20-%20Luke%201.jpg

We also have the image saved in a “web-friendly” format for you to save and share with your friends in your GMG groups as well.

Comments

1. I’m really excited about digging into Luke with you. Thanks, Whitney, for this wonderful introduction.

2. What a beautiful, passionate summary of the wonderful story we are all part of. Thanks for starting what will be a great study!

3. Lisa Scott says:

i deleted my old email and fb acct and made a new one so im re registering .
    Lisa :) <3

4. So excited to begin this study! Thank you for the ministry of Good Morning Girls! Ya’ll (yes I am Georgia girl!) are such a blessing!

5. I’m very excited about this study! I’m in a new group of GMG’s and we are having a wonderful time getting to know each other! I’m so excited about it, that I actually woke up early today to get at it! Thank you to all of you who are making this happen for the rest of us! Your ministry is such a blessing to so many!

6. great introduction! i enjoyed my time this morning! thanks so much to everyone who is a part of making this study possible!!

7. Thank you so much for all you (all of you behind the scenes too!) do! You all are a wonderful example of women following God and I am grateful I found you (plus my FB group too!) :)

8. Good morning ladies, so ready for this new journey. Transformation in progress.Have a great day.

9. Good morning ladies! Thanks for this wonderful and encouraging introduction! What a great way how to start a new day – quiet time with God! Have a wonderful day!

10. This is the perfect way to start the day! Thanks ladies!

11. I’m so excited to begin this study thank you for all the great resources can’t wait to pass them on to my girls.

Adrienne

12. “Thank you” to all of the ladies at Good Morning Girls. Your continual commitment as servants to our Living God does not go in vain. It over joys me to see the Luke study translated into so many different languages. Press on Ladies!! Run the race that has been set before you. Praying for all ~Joan Greeb

13. Read the first assignment. Didn’t know Zechariah did not trust Gabriels message and was made mute. I did know he and Elizabeth were older in years and to conceive during that time would have been a miracle in itself. Luke takes his duty of translation of God’s word very seriously as stated in verses 1-4.

14. I LOVE how you incorporated memory verses for this study! THANK YOU! This has been a goal of mine for sometime and I can’t wait to have God’s word deep in my heart. Thank You!

15. Is anyone else not able to open the link in the email to get the e-book and reading plan? I’m a subscriber and when I hit the link it comes up blank. I have tried 2 different computers. Appreciate any advice? Thanks

16. Obedience to God’s commandments + patience with daily prayer = your prayers ANSWERED in God’s time, not ours.
    Lets not forget what kind of impact disbelief (for a moment) can have on you. Sheesh, I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t talk. One great lesson packed into 25 little verses! I love it.

17. Britney, I can’t open them up as well so it’s not just you.

18. I too have not gotten the SOAP or reading plan. I subscribed yesterday. Help!

19. Thank you for responding to this ministry calling, for your ovidience many of us will be blessed and I am so excited to see what God has planned… Thank you again my sisters in christ..

20. So excited about this study and nervous too. I’m looking forward to what God will do through it! Thanks so much for being an amazing group of women who hear his voice and answer his call!

21. melissa cotto says:

Thank you so much!

22. i am so excited to be starting this study – am on vacation from work this week and had the joy of reading the first excerpt from Luke in the beautiful sunshine. How precious that these words are true and proven.

Are there separate groups to join online or is this the best place to post thoughts?

23. That Zechariah is burning incense stood out to me. The burning of incense came to represent the lifting of the prayers to God. Gabriel even says, “Your prayer is heard.” And, outside the multitude is also praying so their prayers can be lifed to God.

The altar for offering incense was in the room next to the Holy of Holies (where the veil was that separated the priests from God’s presence). Only the High Priest could go behind that veil. Zechariah was an underpriest, so he was not allowed behind the veil. Wow the significance! The father of the one who would “go before Him” (who would later tear that veil allowing Zechariah free access to the God he served) was right next to the veil receiving a powerful promise of his coming son. John would have the Holy Spirit from the womb, the rest had to wait until Pentecost.

Glad I looked into the significance of burning incense. God puts it all there and we just have to search out the treasures!

24. I would like to print off the Luke study but somehow cannot find the link.

25. Hi friends! I never recieved an email with all the information about the study, should I have? Or do I just need to check the site?

26. Whitney- your heart for the Lird is so transparent. You are such a blessing to this group! Thank you!!

27. Ann Lehman says:

I am new to this Bible study and am looking forward to it, but I don’t really understand the group concept. I want to be in a group (and had originally planned on starting this with a couple of friends). I don’t know where I check in or comment in my group. I’m sorry I am so computer-challenges, but this girl needs a like help to begin. Thanks! I am anticipating God doing great things!

28. Miranda Kelso says:

Hello ladies!I just finished today’s passage, and I never knew there was so much to learn! Who knew that so many people in the Bible did not trust God and His plans? Well, one of the things I learned is always trust what God has planned for you and never doubt Him, or there will be consequences. I can’t wait for God to move during this session!

29. Deborah Starr says:

This is my first time doing Good Morning Girls. I’m really looking forward to getting into & really studying the Word! This was a crazy day but finally got a few minutes to do it. I never knew till today that Luke is the Longest book in the New Testament so that was cool bit to learn. See y’all tomorrow!

30. vicky daves says:

i never received anything about the links or where to start. i joined about 2weeks ago. i also had 4 people in my group and no info. for them. please advise

31. Looking forward to this study!

32. Jayme Miller says:

While reading today’s passage, verse 4 stuck out to me: “That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.” I’m doing this study with my three children (ages 17, 13, and 10). My prayer is that they will take this study to heart and learn to live more like Jesus. Of course this is a prayer for myself as well. Can’t wait to dig more into the study to uncover the hidden nuggets that God will reveal unto us.

33. Thank you Whitney and everyone behind the scenes. With the video and e-mail messages, the Bible Study material, alot of work has gone in to making this Bible Study possible. This is my first Bible Study. I look forward to this new journey, enhancing my learnings, and discovering what plans God has for me. Thank you to the bloggers/participants for sharing your views on today’s reading. I found the views to be very informative. Always great to read and learn from others’ point of views.

34. Praise The Lord, Luke starts by reminding us to be witnesses of what God is doing and then he goes on to remind us to have an order to the things we share with others.

35. It’s 11:55pm and I’m just finishing today’s assignment. I’m excited to read everyones comments. It’s comforting to know u can always find truth in God’s word.

36. My first study with GMG. Studying it by myself as I have not gotten wit a group but it will be good. Excited t see what
    God has in store for this journey. Day one was good. Journeling even my prayers. Thank you everyone for this wonderful experience.

37. Timpy Ellis says:

I am doing this study alone, so I was unsure about where to check in. After reading the passage yesterday it seemed to me that Luke is reminding us at the beginning that others have labored and worked to tell the story of Jesus and that we should do the same to let people know of Jesus’ love.

38. How do i upload the ebook and lesson plan? when i click on the links, nothing happens.
    thanks,
    sheri

39. I subscribed to the Bible study, but haven’t received any download links yet. Loved hearing the video from Whitney!

40. I didn’t have time to get on here yesterday and share, but I just wanted to quickly say that verse 3 and 4 yesterday really stood out to me. Luke took it on himself to write these things down so his friend “could know with certainty”. I don’t have a hard time praying for people but I do have a hard time being proactive and doing more then praying. Here Luke set out to gather informtion for his friend. How awesome it must be to have a friend take it on themselves to gather what you need so you can know. I hope I may become such a friend.

As for todays study how AWESOME is it to know with God NOTHING will be impossble. Mary was afraid ( can you even start to think how she felt pregnant and not married in those times)yet she was quick to say “let it be to me..” She knew that God had a plan. How humbling to know that God found favor in someone to carry His Son. I can’t even fathom. I want to strive to have such favor in God’s eyes.

41. 5heartsathome says:

Just stopped in to say thank you! Jus started today but hope to catch up this weekend. Thank you for your ministry to other moms! What a true blessing.

42. Teresa Barr says:

I’m glad to be able to join in this Bible study and grow more in my walk with the Lord.
    I just finished reading Mon,Tues, and Wed. scripture readings.

Looking forward to what God has in store for all of us these next few weeks.

43. Hepme, Rhonda! Hey all. I’ve signed up to be a part of this bible study, but I’m having a hard time following “how” it works. Should I get any emails? What does SOAP mean? :) Any tips? Thanks! Mindi

44. Hi Ann! Most women share with their groups through a private facebook page or through an email group. If you would be interested in joining a group that has already formed, several of our leaders are still welcoming new members into their groups. You can find the groups and their contact info here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=509677002405248&id=109768529062766
    Thanks so much for studying with us! :)

45. Sheri, Britney and Heather – Hmmm… so sorry your links are not opening properly. Please email Angela at LoveGodGreatly@gmail.com, and she’d be happy to send you the links directly. Thanks so much for your patience! :)
    _______________________________________________________________
    Natalie, Judith, Bobbi, Vicky, Dalene and Mindi – if you’re still looking for the links for the Luke materials, please make sure you have subscribed to the blog here(this is different than enrolling in the study): http://feeds.feedburner.com/GoodMorningGirls
    (once you click on this link, you will need to click on the tab that says “Get Good Morning Girls delivered by email.”) When the next blog post is published, you will receive an email with the study links at the very bottom of the page!

Hope that helps! We are soooo excited you’re joining us this session! :)

46. Hi Mindi! Thanks so much for asking about the SOAP method of Bible study. Check out this link here, and it should give you all of the information you need! :)

47. Wow!!! Thanks to all of you for sharing your excitement about this Luke study with us!! Your encouragement means more than you know! :) We are SO PROUD of you for committing to this study, and for having passionate, open hearts that are receptive to what God will teach you through His Word during our time together. We cherish each one of you, and we’re so glad you’re here! <3 Love, Whitney :)

48. I’m excited to start studying the book of Luke. Does anyone know how I can get the memory verses? When I click on the links, I’m getting page not found. I’m looking for the NKJV. Thanks!

1. [...] quiet morning in my online Bible study.  We’re studying the book of Luke.  Here’s the link for the Bible study, it’s a 7 week study and we’re just tying up week 1, so it’s [...]