For the past few Christmases, my Good Morning Girls group and I have gotten our kids together to have a “Happy Birthday Jesus” party. In the past I would decorate my house preparing for the upcoming celebration with red and green candy jars, streamers and a “Happy Birthday Jesus” sign strung across the fireplace. I would have Christmas treats for the moms and kids, a craft to do pertaining to Jesus’s birth, Christmas music playing and a special story read to the kids explaining why we celebrate Christmas. Previous years I had our kids each bring a gently used toy or a new toy with them to the party to donate to a local charity. This year since our kids are starting to get a little older, my friend and I decided to do it a little differently. Instead of having our kids bring a toy to the party, we wanted to use this opportunity to teach our kids the importance of meeting the needs of others.
We decided to combine the “Happy Birthday Jesus” party activity that I talk about on page 40 in the Advent ebook with the GMG Christmas Challenge……teaching our children that THEY can make a difference in our world by meeting the needs of others.
Heroes are not determined by their age or their size but by what they allow God to do through them.
We want our children to learn early in life that God can use them powerfully for His Kingdom……NOW.
This year my sweet friend, Kristi, hosted the party and did a FABULOUS job! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH Kristi!!! She invited a mutual friend’s son to come to our party and tell our children about The Last Well. We each had talked with our kids about The Last Well but we thought it would be more powerful hearing about it from someone their own age.
Today, I’ve decided to bring our party to YOU. Please note the video footage is well……the best I could do. You’ll hear my sweet little Brinnley occasionally in the background as she crawled around me, pulling on my leg and enjoying the festivities of the backyard….. hey, I’m a mom just like you!
A mom who is trying my best to encourage my girls to see the needs of others outside our little community.
A mom who safely wants to broaden their view of the world and help them learn how to be Jesus’s hands and feet to those who are hurting whether they are near or far.
A mom who is trying to teach her kids the importance of what it means to “be a neighbor.”
A mom who wants her children to learn to look at others with love…..just like Jesus.
I want my children to love others well. I believe that starts when we teach them to see the needs of others.
I love this quote by Katie Davis from the book Kisses from Katie (if you’ve never read the book I highly recommend it!)
“…I have one purpose, in Uganda and in life, and that is to love.
I could ask for no greater assignment.”- Katie Davis
Welcome to our Jesus Birthday Party
After a little time of playing together, we gathered our kids and had the wonderful opportunity to listen to Hayes, who’s heart and passion for The Last Well is so inspiring.
After Hayes’s informational and passionate speech we had a sweet devotional reading out of the Jesus Storybook (which I LOVE!!)
Then it was everyone’s favorite time……singing Happy Birthday to Jesus and eating some cake!
I’d like to take this time to thank my sweet friend Kristi for hosting the party and taking these beautiful pictures!!! You are a blessing to me! I’d also like to thank Hayes and his parents for allowing him to speak to our kids about The Last Well! We LOVED hearing you speak, Hayes……you did a WONDERFUL job!
- ONE dollar gives ONE Liberian clean water for ONE year. How many people can you help?
- Purchase a water well for a community in Liberia for $3000. The average well serves 1000 people!
- Purchase a bio-sand water filter for one family in rural Liberia for $102. You can give an entire family clean water!
How Can You Get Involved?
- Add The Last Well to your Christmas list.
- Talk with your family about The Last Well and give a family gift.
- Give up a Christmas gift(s) and instead donate the money to The Last Well.
- Invite your children to give up a Christmas gift(s) and donate the money to The Last Well.
- Have a “Happy Birthday Jesus” party with your friends and their kids. (I talk about this idea in our Advent eBook on page 40) Instead of having children bring gifts to donate, have them donate the money online and learn more about the need for clean water in Liberia, building awareness of how other children live around the world.
- Tell friends about THE LAST Well by sharing this graphic on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, informing more people of this wonderful organization and the great need of physical water and the “Living Water” in Liberia!
- PRAY! Pray God will use us mightily in this nation for HIS GLORY!
Please join us as we strive to make a difference in our generation for Christ by serving one of the poorest countries in the world. Imagine what 17,000 Good Morning Girls could do by giving just $10 each. We could provide clean water and the Gospel to thousands of Liberians, saving lives now and changing eternal destinies as well.
Please join us this Christmas and help change a nation in the name of Jesus, one water well at a time!
Love God Greatly!
Women around the world are IN THE WORD!
Every Wednesday we will have a link-up. If you are a blogger we invite you to link-up any blog posts that you have written about your quiet time that week. We ask that you put our button in the post or on your sidebar so we can find each other. We do not have code for this link up button. Just right click and save as. Then link it to http://www.goodmorninggirls.org