One thing I hope you feel with Good Morning Girls is that we are real women, in real marriages with real children. We are not perfect, nor do we hope to be. We are all women who are daily in need of a savior and who are thankful for the grace and love that He gives us.
Sometimes I think you just need to hear that.
We have disagreements with our husbands, struggle to hear God’s voice at times and stress over our children…..we are real.
Today I’m going to try and get really practical with you……bringing God’s Word to our everyday application.
On Monday we read that the Proverbs 31 woman brings her husband good, not harm, all the days of her life. We also read how Solomon’s wives turned his heart toward other gods.
Main point: As wives we have tremendous influence over our husbands. We can use our influence, as we’ve seen in these two verses, for good or for harm.
I believe wives don’t intentionally bring harm to their husbands….but that’s not the issue, the issue is that we can….and we sometimes do.
Here are just a few ways we can unintentionally harm our husbands:
Proverbs 31:12- She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
1. By withholding forgiveness
2. By withholding love
3. Expecting to much….our husbands aren’t perfect just like we aren’t perfect.
4. Not telling the truth in love.
5. With our words and tone.
6. With our attitudes
7. By not praying over them……if you’re not going to pray over him, then who will?
8. By withholding sex…..
9. By fixing unhealthy meals
Are you guilty in any of those areas? I know I am……I’m convicted as I read over this list. But you know what, we have a choice. We can choose to do better today….with God’s help we can choose to focus on doing good to our husbands…..remembering that when we do good to them, we are doing good to our Lord.
Here are a few ways we can bring good to our husbands:
1. By not talking bad about them behind their backs.
2. By showing them respect in front of our children and others.
3. By fixing healthier meals
4. Praying over them…..for them to be the leaders of our homes, men of integrity and character.
(Note: If you need help knowing how to pray over your husband I highly recommend Stormie Omartian’s book: The Power of a Praying Wife.)
5. Speaking truth in LOVE…..our husbands are not mind readers and yes they do have feelings so words do hurt them even if they act like they don’t.
7. Initiate sex……plan dates for the two of you…..make sure you spend time together without the kiddos.
8. Realize that he’s human……give him grace.
9. Smile at him……I know it sounds crazy but seriously who doesn’t love being sincerely smiled at.
10. Be intentional with him….find out what you can do to help make him feel loved. Ask him…“What can I do that will make you feel loved and respected?”
11. Give him down time when he first gets home.
Sweet sisters let me encourage you today with this quote:
Do all the good you can, by all the means you can,
In all the ways you can, in all the places you can,
At all the times you can, to all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.
- John Wesley
Let me encourage you to read the story of Abigail….she was the wife to a difficult man…..like some of you, she was in a difficult marriage, still she choose to be good to him. She is described as “the good angel of Nabal’s household” and you can find her story in 1 Samuel 25.
Again we come back to the question, how can we be a Proverbs 31 wife? By keeping our eyes on Jesus.
Remember, we are in a war. Whether we like it or not, we are in a battle, a battle for our marriages. Cling to Jesus, stay in God’s Word, pray over your husbands and practice doing good to them!
I am praying right along side of you!!!!
I invite you to share today in the comment section or on Facebook, what would you add to my lists?
Women around the world are IN THE WORD! Every Wednesday we will have a link-up. If you are a blogger we invite you to link-up any blog posts that you have written about your quiet time that week. We ask that you put our button in the post or on your sidebar so we can find each other. We do not have code for this link up button. Just right click and save as. Then link it to http://www.goodmorninggirls.org
Love God Greatly!