54,427 Fans   3109 Followers

James 1:1-11 Consider Your Trials a Joy

We are now at over 1,000 Good Morning Girls and over 150 groups!  Great job completing Week One’s Homework in James! Here’s some of what I learned this week:

If you have not begun in James and would like to join us, go here to print the schedule.

Also, if you want to do some commentary work over the weekend visit Crosswalk’s Bible Study Tools found here:http://www.biblestudytools.com/ On this page in the lower right hand corner, you can find links to Bible dictionaries, commentaries, concordances, and other Bible translations, etc. I have been using this website for 7 years! I LOVE it!

I recommend Matthew Henry’s Commentary’s found here: http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/james/

We’ll see you back here Monday!  And don’t forget to chime in on the Wednesday link up - visit other Good Morning Girls for more spiritual encouragement or leave a comment telling us what God is teaching you!

Keep Walking with the King!

Women Living Well

Comments

1. Janeen Daftary says:

Hi Courtney !! Wonderful video, thank you !!! Just wanted to let you know, I am doing the study with all of you . Got my notebook all organized and have LOVED going through James verse by verse !! I just had missed the sign up cutoff. Just wanted to let you know I am here and am LOVING this format !! You are such a blessing. I could SO relate to you story about the job trial. My husband and I are going through that right now and we have four kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats and most days I am running on empty. Thanks so much for the great word picture of filling our cup with God’s word !! Have a wonderful week. Your sister in Christ, Janeen Pittsburgh,PA :-)

2. I have been enjoying this lesson and reading on James verse by verse. It is nice to add this to my morning bible readings and cup of coffee before everyone starts to wake in our home. God is still speaking through his word and what a joy and what a fresh start to the day. May we all fill our homes with postiveness and love and share and spread that with others who then can spread it outside the home. God bless and thank you for this weeks lesson. Looking forward to next weeks. :)

3. Courtney thank you for sharing your story. This was such a wonderful week in the Word for me. I am learning and growing so much with this study.

4. Hi Courtney,

I have really enjoyed this week in James. I found your blog through another one I read and that led me to GMG. I don’t have a group but am following along.
    Thanks for this video! It showed me some good points I missed.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

5. I absolutely love using the SOAP method for this study. I am a visual and I wish I had thought of that before to write down what I’m learning, but it’s never too late to start. I’m gleaning so much from God’s Word and sharing with my GMG group. I also love the picture that Courtney showed about filling up the cup and whatever bumps it will come out. I want JOY to come out! Blessings in Christ, Shonda

6. The “cup” example was on time today! What great imagery for us to remember. The James study has been a blessing and the SOAP notes really help. Especially the “S” part–there is something about copying the Scripture down on paper after I read it that helps it to stick a bit more.

God bless us all!

7. Hi Courtney!

I loved your cup example! So so so true!!! We need to fill ourselves up with Jesus, His word and His love!!! Loved it! Thanks for the encouragement today! Love ya girl!

Love God Greatly!
    -Angela

8. Love the cup analogy, and REALLY love what you shared about James humbly sharing that he is a servant of God and His Son. I’m so glad to be going through the James study at the same time my 11yo dd is doing it via Kay Arthur’s book (and my 9 and 8yo’s are memorizing it along with their older sister). Just posted Courtney’s video to my FB page to encourage others.
    Have a great weekend, Courtney and Angela! Btw, ladies, I just saw the picture of the two of you at Angela’s wedding for the first time. Oh my, such beauties, both of you. And I’m so glad to know that it comes from both outside AND in.
    Toni

9. Caroline Cordle says:

You know, it just shows how amazing God’s Word is – we had so many things we had seen from these verses in our group, and you shared something totally different. God truly shows us what we need to learn, that applies to each of us in our own walk with Him! Amazing! :-)

10. Linda Hamilton says:

It’s been a wonderful week in the word, observing, application and prayer. Thank you for your visual of what’s in our “cup.” I am one of the older women in the group and have been sharing what I’ve learned with our grown daughter who is going through a trial. When our children go through trials, we do so along with them. But God… Isn’t He GOOD?!

11. EvainAustralia says:

Courtney, that was wonderful!I really wanted to to go for longer though :). What ever you are full of will spill over- that spoke to me so profoundly.
    Im enjoying this study so much. This, along with reading the Bible in 90 days, is doing great things to me.

12. Courtney,

Thank all of you for organizing and getting the resources together so that we may all be blessed through this study. You mentioned John Piper’s book When you don’t Desire God. If you go to his website, you can actually download this book as a PDF file and have it there on your computer to read. There are many other books there that you can also download. Thank you again dear sister! God Bless!

13. I’m sorry, I forgot to put the link on there for John Piper. It’s http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/online-books/when-i-dont-desire-god.

14. is it too late to join in??

15. Susan – Thank you for putting up that link – I love how he gives so many of his books freely – I so respect him for that! Thanks!

Beth – it’s not too late at all! If you want to join us for the James study go to here and print out the schedule: http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/2011/01/introducing-our-james-book-club/

We are glad to have you!
    Courtney

16. Blessings Courtney!!! What a wonderful and delightful sum up of James! So full of JOY and such wisdom. Added John Piper’s book to my Kindle samples and wish list!

This truly spoke and ministered to me! I started Beth Moore’s Breaking Free and did not think I’d be able to do this but at this pace, it’s do-able and I love all your handouts and plan ~ this is a great way for me to learn and apply the SOAP method! Thank you for doing this. Since my small group is pretty much non-existent, I’m going it alone but that’s OK, I’m accountable to God and me, myself and I (that’s the same amount we had). I really enjoy how you share. This past year, I was grieving the suicidal loss of a dear friend of 15 yrs. here and I chose JOY for this year as my WORD and now with James, I am able “to consider it all JOY” as I fill up my cup with ALL the Holy Spirit and I put in. Love the Starbuck example! You are such an enthusiastic, JOYFUL teacher, it’s gotta be contagious JOY!
    Thank you so much! I’m content in where God has me and brought me

Love, peace and JOY,
    Peggy

17. PPS:

Dear Courtney,

I was just wondering if I could have your email address…I have something personal I am dealing with right now in my life…I would like to talk to you about it in private, I would like advice from you because I know God is working powerfully though you and this online ministry and, it would be a blessing to hear what you would have to say to my individual situation. Thank you,

Sincerely,

-Tina

18. Courtney! I love your vlog today.. I love how you placed the visual of filling our cups. Im thinking that when our cups are still not being bumped it is the easiest time to fill them up. What a great reminder that in the times of peace we shall fill up our hearts with joy. So that in the time of trouble that joy will come out!

How often I see that people waiting until they are being bumped and they try to fill that cup and it is so hard to get it in there!

I am looking forward to the secound half of James chapter one..

blessings & giggles to you until then,
    Jeanei

19. Hi again Courtney, I too like Bible Study Tools with Crosswalk
    since you have 7 yrs. with them but also wanted to share some other great ones:

1) YOU VERSION
    2) JAMES with BLB
    NET Bible

4) ESV with Lightsource.com

I think you’ll really like #2!!!

Peggy

20. Hi Courtney! What a great video! You “ooze” joy in this one! :)

I’m sincerely enjoying the James study. I can’t thank you enough for facilitating this for us.

God bless you!

21. P.S. What really struck me was when you stated, “If we don’t have wisdom – ASK! Don’t go on Facebook, don’t go on blogs, don’t call your mom…ask God!”

I wrote this down in my journal.

22. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this video. Several things you talked about were new info, great extensions to a valuable study this week. I loved the background info on the author, James, and the analogy of the cup. Thank you for the book recommendation as well.

You are a wonderful tool in helping me mature and develop a heart of JOY in Christ!

23. Hi Courtney! I just wanted you to know that I am studying with you guys through James and also through 2 other Bible Study groups that started because of Good Morning Girls. I also blog often about things I am learning and how they apply to my life. This is so wonderful and great. I am loving this. God is blessing. You guys came along at just the right time when I needed you. You have NO idea how much I needed this and the fellowship. I do not have one single friend but my hubby. This is nice. So nice to meet other Christian women.

24. James’s humility was one of the first things that struck me, too!

Thanks for all you do in putting this all together! You are both making a difference in the lives of thousands of women!

25. JoAnn Masterjohn says:

Thank you for allowing me to join you in studying the word of our Lord, My re-birth of being a Christian was January 27, 2008. I am so glad to be back from straying. I am Home!

26. Andrea Linneburg says:

Hi Courtney,

I just started this bible study (so I guess I am a little behind!!). I have finished week one and, quite honestly, was gonna watch the video this morning and then stop doing the study due to time constraints and the fact that I am behind. This was until I watched your video for the first week. You hit on so many points that I am going thru right now (I tend to turn to Facebook and blogs for encouragement). I am now reminded of the importance of turning to God for the filling of my cup!!
    I am currently working thru week two and I might be able to even get caught up to where you are at!! Thank you for your ministry and for doing this study…it is a great need for me!!