Do any of you struggle with those nagging negative thoughts that always seem to be telling you what a failure you are, that you’re just not good enough and never will be? That you’re not smart enough, pretty enough, worthy enough, lovable enough…..that you’re just not enough. If you do, let me reassure you that you’re not alone. I’m right in the same boat with you! This week let’s focus on being intentional with what WE ALLOW our minds to think about. I love Philippians 4:8, I actually have this verse in my kitchen and look at it all the time to help remind me to focus on the excellent and praiseworthy thoughts instead of the negative ones.
What are you allowing into your mind? This week pay special attention to what you:
- watch (TV or movies)
- read (Internet, books, magazines)
- listen (music, talk shows)
How do these sources of input affect your thoughts and actions? Paul tells us to be disciplined in what we feed our minds. Are you feeding your mind healthy thoughts or thoughts that are more like junk food for your brain?
We are told in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to “take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” We need to be intentional with what we feed our minds. One question to ask yourself: “Does what I am watching, reading or listening to encourage me to be more like Christ or less like Him?”
When those negative thoughts begin to fill your mind and discourage you, remember who you are in Christ. You are:
- God’s workmanship- Ephesians 2:10
- Free forever from condemnation- Romans 8:1-2
- Valuable to God- purchases with a price- You belong to God- 1 Cor 6:19-20
- Established, anointed and sealed by God- 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
- A citizen of Heaven- Philippians 3:20
- Redeemed and forgiven- Colossians 1:14
- Free from any charge against you- Romans 8:33-34
- most importantly……..You ARE A CHILD OF GOD!!! Ephesians 1:5
We must learn to submit our thoughts to God’s control, not our control and above all else make sure we are reading God’s Word!!! Filling our minds with HIS truth!!!
Challenge: This week let’s focus on being intentional with what WE ALLOW our minds to think about. Memorize Philippians 4:8 and pay attention to what you are feeding your mind this week. You may need to change your diet!
Until next time….
Love God Greatly!