Bible memorization simply put is the repeating of words. Dallas Willard, professor of Philosophy at the University of Southern California, wrote, “Bible memorization is absolutely fundamental to spiritual formation. If I had to choose between all the disciplines of the spiritual life, I would choose Bible memorization, because it is a fundamental way of filling our minds with what it needs. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth. That’s where you need it! How does it get in your mouth? Memorization” (“Spiritual Formation in Christ for the Whole Life and Whole Person” in Vocatio, Vol. 12, no. 2, Spring, 2001, p. 7). Keys to Bible Memory:
2. Meditate on it – dissect it – ingest it! Be intentional.
3. Write it out. Where you might ask? On post-it notes or index cards. Then put them in the bathroom, kitchen, by your computer or in your car. Be intentional.
4. Get the entire family memorizing and chart your progress on the refrigerator! Give out stars for progress – this gives you accountability. Speaking of accountability – you could also do this with your Good Morning Girls Groups! Be intentional.
5. Draw a picture of the verse you are memorizing – this is my favorite technique for the kids! Be intentional.
6. Count how many words there are in the verse - write it out that number of times and you’ll have it! Be intentional.
7. Write it out and put it as lunch notes, letters to a friend or in an email to a friend. The more times you write it, the more it will sink in! Be intentional.
8. Be sure you memorize WHERE it’s found! Be intentional.
9. Here is a place where you can type in a verse and it will convert it to just the first letter of each word. http://www.downes.ca/memorization.htm
10. Here is an on-line site where you can track all of your Bible memory work – I just joined their Facebook page! http://www.memverse.com/tutorial
Practice, practice, practice and before you know it the verses will overflow out of your mouth with ease. Be intentional. Arm yourself with the word of God!